One of Buildbase’s Suregraft Champions – Vince Verrier – took a recent trip to see our own-brand lighting products being made in China. He came away feeling, well, enlightened…
When I say “I’ve seen the light” after a recent factory tour in China, I don’t mean just an electrical object that illuminates a room.
Yes, I saw our Buildbase, own-brand Suregraft lighting products – made by Austrian-based Globo in a Chinese manufacturing facility – on the production line. But I also had my own eyes opened to what being made in China really means.
Visiting four factories and a testing facility in Guangzhou and Shanghai showed me how high quality products are made alongside cheaper, value products in the same factories. I saw the same engineering machinery in use as I’d seen in top flight British manufacturing and this reassures me that the standard of products made in China is as good as anything made anywhere else.
This might surprise some Buildbase customers but, without question, I would actively guide them towards quality products made in China. Their experience from using our Suregraft products is starting to change perceptions and I know they trust Buildbase to provide the right products for the work they do.
Shining a light on Suregraft production
The factory which makes Suregraft lighting is swift and efficient, providing lighting for the Chinese domestic market as well as CE-approved lighting for the European Union, each requiring different testing and safety certificates. Many parts are pre-made before entering the production lines and are certified, batch-coded and date-stamped to ensure full traceability of any product.
All parts are quality-checked during the production process and all completed lights tested before being packaged. Testing is carried out both in the factory and by external company, SGS, the world- leading inspection, testing and certification company. Testing covers safety as well as issues such as colour running and parts checked for heavy metals content.
Finished lights are tested in various ways, including an endurance test where lights are placed inside a sealed room and remain switched on for up to 10 days. All directional lights are tested in a darkened room where the light is pointed at an angled surface and reflections measured to ensure the light shines in the right direction consistently. A radiation room is used to detect any radiation emitted by the units.
Dare I say it? Seeing what happens on the production line in China was definitely “enlightening”!
Spotlight on Suregraft
For the benefit of people looking at lighting options, the two Suregraft lights I saw being made in China and worth mentioning are:
- Standard, wall-mounted spotlight with a satin nickel finish and 50w bulb
- IP20-rated, guaranteeing safety
- Suitable for a hall or living room
- Overall, an attractive, small light fitting that would complement most properties at a low cost to the resident.
- Price: £4.95 (ex-VAT)
- Plastic-bodied PRV with twin, 3w LED adjustable metal heads make an industrial-looking, external spotlight
- Easy, quick disconnect back plate makes fitting to the wall simple and easy with the supplied screws, and a rubber grommet is fitted to keep the unit watertight
- Rubber seals ensure no water can enter the LED bulbs
- IP44-rated, demonstrating safety for use in bathrooms (though not inside a bath or shower) and as an outside light
- Price: £29.95 (ex-VAT)